I posted this to the N.org weblog and thought I’d post it here as well.
The November 2004 issue of Project for Public Spaces‘ newsletter names Downtown Northfield as number 17 in the article titled: The 20 Best North American Districts, Downtowns, and Neighborhoods.
1. Granville Island, Vancouver, British Columbia
2. East Village, New York, NY:
3. North Beach, San Francisco, CA
4. Camden, ME
5. Coyoacan, Mexico City
6. Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia, PA
7. The Plateau, Montreal, Quebec
8. Kensington Market, Toronto, Ontario:
9. Center City, Ponce, Puerto Rico
10. Fells Point, Baltimore, MD
11. Lower Garden District, New Orleans, LA
12. Atlantic Avenue, Delray Beach, FL
13. Lake Street, Oak Park, IL
14. 23rd Street, Portland, OR
15. South Beach, Miami, FL
16. Federal Hill, Providence, RI
17. Downtown Northfield, MN
18. Chautauqua, NY
19. Venice Beach, CA:
20. Adams Morgan, Washington, DC
They have a special section focusing on downtown Northfield, evidently the original nomination written by Northfielder Kathy Phillipsen.
Thanks to John Tymoczko for the tip!