Northfield, MN (7/1/20) — The Northfield Downtown Development Corporation is proud to announce it has been designated as a 2020 Accredited Main Street America™ program. Accredited status is Main Street America’s top tier of recognition and signifies a demonstrated commitment to comprehensive commercial district revitalization and proven track record of successfully applying the Main Street Approach™.
NDDC’s performance is evaluated directly by Rethos Main Streets, which works in partnership with Main Street America to identify the local programs that meet ten rigorous performance standards. Evaluation criteria determines the communities that are building comprehensive and sustainable revitalization efforts and include standards such as fostering strong public-private partnerships, documenting programmatic progress, and actively preserving historic buildings.
“This is a great accomplishment for the NDDC and the Northfield community,” said Greg Siems, NDDC Executive Director. “Our organization has worked hard for twenty years to improve and advocate for the downtown, and national accreditation now gives us even more motivation and credibility to continue this important work.”
Over the past two decades the NDDC has been a catalyst, contributor, and advocate for many long-lasting improvements in the downtown district, including:
- Welcome banners and holiday decorations
- Bridge Square master plan
- Benches, bike racks, and trail connections
- Gateway corridor improvement plan
- Mayor’s Downtown Streetscape Task Force
- Riverfront Enhancement Advisory Committee
- Highway 3 pedestrian safety upgrades
- Recruiting and encouraging developers for high-visibility projects such as The Crossing and Reunion-Eat, Drink, Gather
- Promoting Downtown through events (such as Taste Tour, ArtSwirl, Spring Fling) and marketing (Be Local, Buy Local) in collaboration with the Chamber of Commerce and Visit Northfield
- Newer initiatives such as Artists on Main Street, Riverwalk design amenities, and business succession planning.
“We are proud to recognize this year’s 860 Nationally Accredited Main Street America programs that have dedicated themselves to strengthening their communities,” said Patrice Frey, President & CEO of the National Main Street Center. “These Accredited Main Street programs have proven to be powerful engines for revitalization by sparking impressive economic returns and preserving the character of their communities. During these challenging times, these Main Street programs will be key to bringing economic vitality back to commercial districts and improving quality of life during the recovery process.” In 2019 alone, $6.45 billion of public and private reinvestment was generated, 6,466 net new businesses were opened, 32,316 net new were jobs created, and 10,412 buildings were rehabilitated in Main Street America communities.
ABOUT THE NDDC
The Northfield Downtown Development Corporation is a volunteer-driven nonprofit organization that seeks to support, strengthen, and grow Northfield’s unique downtown district. Founded in 2000, the NDDC is made up of dedicated residents who work to promote direct and indirect investment, collaboration and cooperation with other public and private groups, and awareness of the opportunities that Downtown Northfield holds for the community as a whole.