The Southern Minnesota Initiative Foundation (SMIF) was awarded a Main Street Economic Revitalization Grant of $2.34 million from the Minnesota Department of Employment & Economic Development to serve commercial corridors in their service region, with at least $1 million being allocated to Northfield. Eligible applicants can apply for grant funding from SMIF. First round grants were awarded earlier this year and the second round of applications is now open.
In Northfield, eligible properties are within the C-1 (Downtown) and H-O (Historic) Zoning Districts. Eligible projects are for capital improvements of real property.
Projects will be evaluated based on:
- Project is by or for underserved populations or communities.
- Project has a positive projected economic impact through job creation, job retention, and projected tax base increase
- Project feasibility and readiness
- Project has other positive impacts to the community such as accessibility upgrades, providing access to culturally appropriate spaces, local suppliers, etc.
- Project resolves a health or safety risk
- Project meets the objectives of a strategic plan adopted by a public body
The second round of grant applications are due May 1, 2023. Learn more about the grant online at: https://www.northfieldmn.gov/1562/Main-Street-Grant.