The Northfield Downtown Development Corporation (NDDC) in Northfield, Minnesota is a volunteer-driven nonprofit organization that seeks to support, strengthen, and grow Northfield’s unique downtown district. The NDDC is made up of dedicated residents who work to promote direct and indirect investment, collaboration and cooperation with other public and private groups, and awareness of the opportunities that Downtown Northfield holds for the community as a whole.
The NDDC was founded in 2000 to support, strengthen, and grow Northfield’s unique downtown district. We officially joined the Main Street America network in 2018 and became a nationally-accredited member in 2020. Our work is guided by Main Street’s “Four Point Approach” to community revitalization: Economic Vitality, Design, Promotion, and Organization. We are an active member of the network through Rethos: Places Reimagined, which coordinates the Minnesota state program.
As a Main Street America™ Accredited Program, we are recognized as a leading program among the national network of more than 1,200 neighborhoods and communities who share both a commitment to creating high-quality places and to building stronger communities through preservation-based economic development. All Main Street America™ Accredited programs meet a set of National Accreditation Standards of Performance as outlined by the National Main Street Center.
The NDDC is committed to creating and sustaining a vibrant and vital downtown, one that embodies our community’s unique combination of heritage, culture, and social diversity.
This vision is based upon a number of values and beliefs. For example, we believe that our downtown:
- serves as a symbol for Northfield as a whole
- represents our heritage and our hope for the future
- is the heart and soul of our life in community, the place where we make connections with each other and share a social and cultural life
- is the center of retail and commercial services and a place for housing and recreation
- is defined and enriched by its proximity to the Cannon River
- has unlimited potential to be even more than what it is
- is at a crossroads and that time is of the essence if we are to make decisions that will ensure its future
- the qualities of life that are created by our downtown and its people
- the spirit of cooperation, collaboration and trust that will be necessary if we are to work together to create a stronger downtown
- the creativity and imagination of all those who care about our downtown
- the sense of community that is created by places that promote interaction, reflection, and tranquility
Join us today!