The Northfield Downtown Development Corporation (NDDC) was recently awarded a two-year $30,000 grant by Minnesota Main Street, a division of the Preservation Alliance of Minnesota, to fund an “Artists on Main Street” initiative in Downtown Northfield.
The Artists on Main Street funding inspired the NDDC, the Northfield Arts Guild and the City of Northfield’s Arts and Culture Commission to form a partnership called “Connections/ Conexiónes” which invites the local artist community to:
- provide intriguing, welcoming gateways and/or views of our entire downtown area
- engage with people who spend time near the river
- create opportunities for people of all backgrounds to be more connected to our downtown area
- draw people downtown to shop, eat, dine, and utilize our assets along the river
Ten artists or groups have been selected to participate in the first year of “Artists on Main Street”. They will use their works to draw people’s attention to the west side of the downtown district and connect the west side of downtown to Division Street. The locations where the art will be displayed include Ames Park, the Northfield Depot, the Riverwalk, bridges over the Cannon River, and areas around Bridge Square. These art and performance pieces are intended to be temporary installations. The participating artists and their projects are:
- Rob Hardy: “Poetry Posts”
- Lorraine Rolvig/The Northfield Garden Club: “Northfield’s Hanging Garden’s in Plein Air”
- Fletcher Coolidge: “Raggin’ at the Depot”
- Alexis Valeriano” “Poems on a Bridge/Poemas en el Puente”
- Oliver Jin Casima and Ben Heath: “Rays of Unity”
- Sharol Nau: “Bridge Weaving”
- Demian Jackman: “Selfie Shark”
- Jim Rossow: “Totally Tubular Traveling Tubulum”
- Suzanne Daehlin: “Love Makes the World Go Round”
- Kathy Ness: “Goose Be Gone”
A kick-off event with the selected artists and the public will be held from 5-7pm on Friday June 7th on the downtown Riverwalk behind the Northfield Arts Guild building (304 Division St.) in conjunction with the NDDC’s First Friday Art Night to celebrate Northfield artists’ participation in this new initiative. Light refreshments will be provided.
The artists’ projects will be displayed or presented at various times and locations between June 2019 and October 2019. Further information about these projects can be found on the NDDC’s website, www.downtownnorthfield.org and the Northfield Public Library’s website, www.mynpl.org.